South High School has a new Principal.
Please watch for the full article in our NEWSLETTER… Time to renew your membership to get your copy!! Stop by our MEMBERSHIP page!
SHAFI will be looking at ways to help both the school and the students this year. We’d love your thoughts on this subject. Last year we had money due to COVID and being “shut-down” for 2020 and 2021. This year, 2022-23, we will be more selective. There will be a Board Meeting in September to discuss the subject. Please stay tuned.
Last Years UPDATES
Program Notes from the Theater Department…
South High Student Theater has a strong tradition of excellence which showcases the incredible talent of our Ravens, and this year they are coming back from the losses of the pandemic with great enthusiasm and drive to rebuild the program. The fall play in early November, D.O.A., was a film-noir thriller based on a film from 1949 which followed a poisoned man racing the clock to solve his own murder before the poison kills him. The show was quite successful despite COVID restrictions for both cast and audience, and it was wonderful to return to live performances. This spring’s musical is where the student-driven Drama program will truly show that their shine hasn’t dimmed one bit. South High Student Theater will be performing The Lightning Thief: A Percy Jackson Musical based on the popular book series about a son of Poseidon who must battle monsters and save the world–all while still navigating the challenges of being a teenager. Our student actors and crew are very excited and motivated to take on this show, which will require a great deal of innovative creativity to bring so many gods and monsters to life. That is where the support of the community has been crucial.
The South High Alumni and Friends graciously donated funds to help the theater recoup the losses incurred when the production of Mamma Mia had to be canceled in the spring of 2020. The PTSA has also helped with a mini-grant, and many South Alumni have contributed online to help South High Student Theater get back on their feet. This year’s Ravens in South High Student Theater are excited to carry on the strong traditions of our theater and maintain the high standards of excellence set by scores of alumni through the years.
The Lightning Thief will be performed March 17, 18, 19 and 20th in the South High Auditorium.
December 12, 2021
November 11, 2021
ROTC hand-wrote a very nice Thank-You note after receiving their Grant of $300. We wanted to share it with you all… as you all make this happen…
South High Homecoming Car Parade
(through East Washington Park)
Ed Hurry, SHAFI Board Vice President
Oct 8, 2021…
The Yearbook and South Newsletter program requested digital cameras for the students. They had an established tracking and care program set up for their equipment. In talking with the Faculty Sponsor/Teacher, SHAFI decided this was a good investment in the students and school. Rather than giving them a grant, Ken (our President) purchased the cameras and delivered them to the Teacher. We hope to see some of their work…
Through the quiet days of Covid-19, the Alumni didn’t have the opportunity to support the current students. We didn’t have any idea what the students were doing or needing. This August, we had the opportunity view a Video showing the “off the court” activities of the South High Girls Basketball team. Some of us were nearly brought to tears by their compassion and respect for their coach and wanting to pay it forward.
After a few weeks of discussion and reflecting on the girls’ actions, we have decided to grant every sport team at South and the major school activities including, but not limited to, Drum Team, Choir, Drama, Stage-Hands and ROTC. Each team or activity will receive their check at the beginning of their season.
The Grant comes with NO STRINGS ATTACHED! We only ask that you let us know, in whatever way you want, what you have used the money for. The Alumni Board will then pick one team or group to get an MVP award and an additional Grant/Scholarship. We will coordinate this with Principal Thomas.
Needless to say, we were proud of our Girls Basketball Team….
Soccer, Boys and Girls
Cross Country, Boys and Girls
Basketball, Boys and Girls
Swim and Dive, Boys and Girls
Lacrosse, Boys and Girls
Track and Field, Girls and Boys
Newsletter/Yearbook- Cameras (not grant)
South High Alumni and Friends, Inc. (SHAFI) relies on memberships, donations, and volunteers to support projects and activities that benefit South High School. Our efforts and funding include:
- Support of current South High student activities and needs, such as:
- The Arts (music, theater, visual arts, etc.)
- JROTC Program
- South High Food Bank
- Student Scholarships
- The “South Alumni Report” tri-annual newsletter, which is our way of communicating, although we have entered the digital age with a website and Facebook.
- Our History Room and Museum, which houses memorabilia dating back to the 1920’s for South High School and its feeder schools. This memorabilia includes yearbooks, class pictures, and framed photos of historical and sporting events.
- Maintenance of the historical Tower Clock and enhancement of the Purple Tower Room
- Assistance for Class Reunions with an up-to-date data base. Please check our Reunion Updates for accurate information on your class Reunion or Meetup.
- Placing South High School on the National Register of Historic Places. Please check our Historic page for the full story.
- Join SHAFI and help out your school. Funding from the Denver Public School district continues to decline for many reasons. As a result, the organizations that support South High School, including SHAFI, have their own fundraising efforts to bridge the gap. Your membership of just $15 per year will help, as well as any extra dollars you are able to contribute. Consider giving an Alumni friend a membership or giving a donation in memory of a former classmate. Donations to SHAFI are tax deductible. A membership form is included on this website.
If you live in the Denver area and have some spare time, SHAFI can use volunteers to help with reunions, mailing, data entry, historical archiving, and South High School events. PLEASE GO TO OUR MEMBERSHIP PAGE TO JOIN